Maybe you too always seem to attract lost dogs and cats , or to find wounded birds or mistreated animals.
A lot of people want to help them , but sometimes that ‘s pretty difficult. Where can you take the animal or who can you call for help ? Especially when you are not familiar with the area or if you don’t speak the local language ?
I imagined a website or an app that I could use in my own native language, set my position and specify what kind of animal I had found , and that would give me an aswer with the possibilities to get help for my particular case and a map with the locations.
Since then , I’m writing code . The project is not finished yet ; it will take another couple of months before we can test and debug it.
Before I started coding , it took quiet a while to figure out what I really wanted :
- the use of different languages must be supported (we already have a lot of languages and a lot of people are emigrating to Europe bringing their own language )
- so the number of languages must be expandable
- every species has an unique Latin name , that can be used as the base for translation into the official name in other languages
- a lot of people don’t know the official name of an animal in their native language but use a local name , so we have to cover the local names too
- different breeds of dogs , cats , rabbits … have the same Latin name which we have to expand for the specific breed
- for screen dialogues, groups of animals , rescue groups etc , I had to choose a language as the base. Since English is spoken by a lot of people as their second language , this choice was obvious.
- all editing must be possible online and in real time , by different coworkers
- so we needed a system to login different people , with their specific privileges to edit different parts of the data in different languages. For this I chose Sitelok from Vibralogix and extended it for my needs.(It is commercial software, but at a very reasonable price)
- The final result must have a very simple interface : the user sets his location (manually or automatic by his device) and enters (in his own language) the name or the kind of animal he or she wants help for. The system has to respond with a map with markers for possible organisations that can help with this kind of animal. On click the marker must expand with all the details of the organisation.
- Some organisations offer mobile services within a defined area (animal ambulance etc). If the user is in this area and the mobile service takes care of the kind of animal he has found , the system has to show the details of this service.
At this moment , most of the coding is done. In about two months we can enter the testing and debugging phase . At that time I would like to get in touch with a few volunteers for help. (input of a limited amount of data, test the online translation system and report bugs and other things that can be improved ).
After testing an debugging we will clear the system and go live for real data.
Oh – Before I forget to tell : this is not an official organisation – until now it is only a one man’s project.
If you have questions or remarks , please send me a mail